Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:41:42 -0500
From:      "Derrick T. Woolworth" <dwoolworth@gmail.com>
To:        "Jorge Evangelista" <netsecuredata@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Looking for Bandwidth Manager Appliance or Bandwidth Manager Softwatre

FreeBSD, pf and ALTQ work great, but setting up MRTG to examine
bandwidth usage per customer is a trick.

I have a really simple program that I wrote that logs traffic (in and
out) to a MySQL database and then a web application that allows the
generation of reports and graphs.  Its how we bill our heavy usage
hosting customers.  The program uses bpf and is accurate to within one
minute of bandwidth traffic.  The system also does "rates", but we
bill on the per gigabyte of traffic, so...

bpf is simple to use - as is MySQL and php - the whole thing sits on a
i386 server that cost around $800 bucks in a 2U space.  The
PacketShaper and other similar solutions are fairly expensive, so if
you're a do-it-yourself type, consider using these tools.  Would
probably take a week or two to build, maybe less...

Just my two cents...