Date:      13 Nov 1997 19:32:01 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM / AHA2940 problems

J Wunsch <j@ida.interface-business.de> writes:
> After obtaining:
>
> (ahc1:6:0): "TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5701TA 0167" type 5 removable SCSI 2
> cd0(ahc1:6:0): CD-ROM can't get the size

AFAIK this message is normal; it means that there's no data CD in the
drive.

> ...i get the following error whenever i start to play a CD in
> workman:
> [...]
> This is with 2.2-stable (built somewhere in September, as it looks),
> and with an AHA2940.

I have the exact same CD-ROM and the exact same SCSI adapter
(actually, I have both an AHA2940 and an AHA2940UW) and have not
experienced any of the problems you mention. I run FreeBSD 2.2.1R.

I have heard from other people that AHA2940 performance has been
seriously reduced in 2.2.5R, but have not had the opportunity to
observe this myself.

--
 * Finrod (INTJ) * Unix weenie * dag-erli@ifi.uio.no * cellular +47-92835919 *
  RFC1123: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"