Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 02:16:28 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:12:49 -0400, "Brian F. Feldman" wrote:

> It's "out with the bad, in with the good." Pidentd code is pretty
> terrible.

Hi Brian,

I let your comment above go at the time that you said it and I waited
for Kevin Day to substantiate similar claims. Kevin very kindly took
the time to submit a PR which has helped me demonstrate to him that
the problems which he was seeing that led him to declare pidentd buggy
were in fact caused by a bug (bugs?) in the version of inetd that he's
running.

So while I take to heart Mike Smith's comments ("I'm ... worried about
... where the seniority of a code entity is considered more significant
than its functionality") I do think that this exercise serves no purpose
as long as pidentd is doing its job properly.

For detail on the inetd bugs causing apparent pidentd instability, I
invite you to examine PR 12596. If you feel there are other problems
with pidentd, I invite you to take Kevin's lead and file a PR.

Ciao,
Sheldon.