Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 23:21:55 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: got load > 1 but no CPU state is showing?

--DN8g+DOX2TxGxleI

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 01:19:59PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > On a lightly loaded server top is misbehaving: it continuously shows all
> > CPU states at 0.0% yet my load varies from 0.50 to about 3. Is there
> > any explanation for this?
>=20
> Maybe.  :-)  I was going to say that on fast machines, it's not unusual f=
or=20
> processes which start up and then finish quickly to go away before top=20
> "sees" them, but you still see the effect in the aggregate system load. =
=20

Yes, that was wat I was babbling about wrt "syncing".

> However, that doesn't explain this line:
>=20
> > CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.0=
%=20
> idle
>=20
> Clutching at straws, maybe top can't read /dev/kmem or something?
> Try doing a "MAKEDEV all" in /dev...

A reboot solved my problems -- while examining this phenomenon PostgreSQL
came to a halt and wouldn't restart due to a lack of available shared memor=
y,
although ipcs(1) didn't show any active handles. Since I needed the database
server, I had to reboot.

I suspect something hardwarish though, I've never seen this kind of weird
behaviour before.

--Stijn

--=20
The rain it raineth on the just