Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 15:36:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), jkh@time.cdrom.com, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, rickl@ic.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible sc0 problem

<<On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:30:24 +0200 (MEST), Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk> said:

>> I'd be happy to send you my /etc/keymap file...  And it actually does
>> the right thing (sets the high bit rather than prepending escape).

> That is not the right thing!! When do you 7bit handicapped yankies
> get it that almost evrybody else on this globe use 8bit chars !

I don't care what you use, it's of no relevance to me.  (Those other
languages are all obsolete anyway... <smirk>) What may or may not
happen to be the right thing for you is not particularly relevant to
what the right thing is for Emacs, an editor whose original
user-interface design was on systems with NINE-bit characters (later
extended to twelve).  Being restricted to only eight bits severely
limits the available single-chord Emacs commands.  (Many of the
extended Emacs key sequences were single-chord commands on a Knight or
Space-Cadet keyboard.)

-GAWollman