Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:53:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Shane Adams <adamsch1@yahoo.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>, =?utf-8?q?Dag-Erling=20Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice for hacking on ufs/ffs

Thanks for the tip DES!  I will probably break down and buy a cheap machine=
 or dust off my old P3 box.  I have a PXE card at home too.  I want to try =
qemu as well cause if I get it to work I can tool around on my laptop.

Eric, I hate to bother you but I didn't get the cheat sheet.  Here's what I=
 attempted last night.

I built qemu from ports
I used dd to create 1G file.
I did mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /bigdrive/bsdfilesystem -u 0
I downloaded the 20M boot only ISO.

I ran qemu specifying -cdrom as the 20M iso, and -hda to /bigdrive/bsdfiles=
ystem.

Qemu started fine, and I proceeded to go through the basic install process,=
 at that point it asked me to toss in the correct CD with the packages to c=
omplete the installation (Which I didnt' have the CD handy and it was late =
so I will try again tonight).

Anyway - you said you do a make DESTDIR to your mdconfig'd file.  Did you m=
ount the file you mdconfiged?  If so, does a make installworld install a bo=
ot loader as well?  I'm not clear on how you used qemu to boot agains that =
device.  Perhaps you did a normal BSD install on it then later mounted it t=
o get your stuff on there?

Cheers,
  Shane