Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:25:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Maurer <mwmaurer@mtu.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting up BSD as a gateway

I know Dan Langille said this.....
> > And if he has, how do they get mapped to real IP addresses on the Internet
> > without natd or a similar facility?
>
> I'd like to know this answer too.  I was helping someone in undernet
> #freebsd over the weekend.  They claimed that their cable modem assigned
> different ip addresses to the computers.  All of the computers were
> plugged into the hub.  And the cable modem was connected to the hub.  I
> didn't understand how it could work either.

Same here.  I *tried* just having the cable modem, and just 1 of my machines
plugged in, with no success.  dhclient couldn't communicate with the dhcpd
server on the other end at all...

--
Mark Maurer  markm@dct.com     Programmer: Digital Magic Interactive
             mwmaurer@mtu.edu  Senior, Michigan Tech University