Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:10:21 -0600
From:      Samuel Kesterson <skesterson@travelnow.com>
To:        Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8 RC2 SMP hangs during boot on HP ProLiant DL380

Thus spake Holger Kipp (Holger.Kipp@alogis.com) [2003-03-17 10:55] :

> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded 4.8RC2 and recompiled with SMP and APIC enabled.
> Instead of 4 CPUs (2 XEON with HT) only two are recognized and the
> system hangs after initialising the second CPU:
>   Last message (about ufs-mounting /dev/da0s1a) needs some time to
>   appear. Num and Scroll-Buttons still work. Nothing else happens
>   afterwards.
>
> Works flawless with 4.7-STABLE from 17.02.2003 on DL360 and DL380.
> I also have no problems with 4.8-RC from 07.03.2003 (on DL360).
>
> 4.8 RC2 in Single-Mode (GENERIC) makes no problems either.
>
> I looked inside /usr/src/UPDATING but couldn't find anything about
> additional options needed (iirc there were some mails about additional
> options for HT to come).
>
> Anyway, SMP-System shouldn't hang during boot.
> Testing is restricted (production systems). Sorry.
>
> If there is anything else I can do to test this, please let me know,
> and I'll try to fit this in somehow ;-)

	I have RC2 running on 2 HP Proliant DL360 with SMP and APIC enabled.
One is merrily chewing up the jdk14 build as we speak. Standard questions
apply. Do you have the current BIOS installed, etc. Also, a dmesg might
be nice to help figure out what's going on.

	If I might be so bold ... why are you running an RC on production
systems? :)