Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 14:01:56 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Leonard Ong <Leonard_Ong@iname.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long Delay

In the last episode (Aug 23), Leonard Ong said:
> Dear Friend,
>
> I am new to freebsd.  In Generic kernel in freebsd 2.2.6 and kernel
> that i tried to customized, I find that there is long delay in boot
> process.  The delay about 30 seconds to 1 minutes, this happen after
> the kernel specify the hard-disk type and befre specify the cdrom
> type.

Edit /sys/i386/isa/wd.c, around line 105.  Change the "#define TIMEOUT"
line, and set it to somewhere between 2000-4000.  This is the timeout
that the IDE driver uses when probing for devices (it does three probes
per device, so a probe for wd1 where there is nothing at wd1 would wait
10000*3 milliseconds == 30 secs).  Setting the timeout at 2000 would
result in a 6-second wait per unconnected IDE device.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com