Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:29:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <A.Leidinger@WJPServer.CS.Uni-SB.de>
To:        logix@foobar.franken.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, isdn@freebsd.org, hm@hcs.de
Subject:   i4b & security (Re: "man" reads /etc/rc.conf?)

On 11 Nov, Harold Gutch wrote:

>> > Using command substitution in /etc/rc.conf{,.local} is NOT
>> > officially supported.  I think it should have always been
>> > clear that there should _only_ be plain variable assignments.
>>
>> But with i4b you have to specify a username-password pair in rc.conf
>> (spppconfig_isp0) and I didnīt want to show it to every user (rc.conf
>> is u+rw,g+r,o+r for reasons you mention).
>
> What about /etc/start_if.isp0?

Yes, with permissions of u+r,go-rwx itīs more secure than the currently
recommended way.

Hellmuth? Will this be the new official way of configuring i4b?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           Intel: where Quality is job number 0.9998782345!

http://netchild.home.pages.de  A.Leidinger+Home @ WJPServer.CS.Uni-SB.de
  Key fingerprint = 7423 F3E6 3A7E B334 A9CC  B10A 1F5F 130A A638 6E7E