Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 12:43:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
Cc:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP comparisons

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Marc van Kempen wrote:

> > On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 10:21:17AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> I wholeheartedly agree, I must say I don't understand -core in this
> respect either.
>
> Sure I can understand that people feel threatened (or feel the stability of
> the system is threatened) by
> someone going through the code with the energy that Matt has displayed,
> especially when the code is so complicated and fragile, and a good
> review process should be in place. On the other hand doing nothing about
> it will only result in FreeBSD falling behind with respect to new
> developments and drive away talented *and* willing developers, and surely
> that is somehting worth the time and attention of -core, or so one
> would hope!

Basically there are two major groups of people in core as far as I can see
on this issue..  those who rabidly don't want Matt to get commit privs.
They give many excuses but in my opinion the real reason is that they
don't feel qualified to clean up after him if something goes wrong and are
afraid that it might come to that, and those who have less strong feelings
but don't want to go against those with strong feelings.

This is the impression I get from talking to many of them.

In my opinion almost everything else you hear is an excuse.

The main motivating factor for those who have strong feeling in the matter
is fear. Either fear that -current will be destabilised (Well DUH,
Helloooo, It's -current...) or fear that Matt will be a divisive
influence.  (go figure)

julian