Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 21:13:53 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Subject:   Re: Can't mount /

On 20 May 2002, at 17:42, Odhiambo Washington boldly uttered:

> * Philip J. Koenig <pjklist@ekahuna.com> [20020520 10:06]: wrote:
> > Made a mistake in /etc/fstab.  Thought I could boot single-user and
> > fix it, but I can't mount / read-write because it claims the root
> > device isn't found?
> >

> > > Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> > > #adjkerntz -i
> > >
> > > # mount -u -o rw /
> > > mount: da0s2a: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > # mount
> > > da0s2a on / (ufs, local, read-only)
> > >
> > > # mount -u /dev/da0s2a
> > > mount: not currently mounted /dev/da0s2a
> > > #
> >
> > ???????????
> >
> > Tried to boot with the fixit CD, same problem!
> >
> > This is making my brain hurt..
>
> Jeez, and what does mount say when you do
>
> umount /
> mount -u /

I dunno.  Ghost in the machine I guess.  A little while later I typed
the commands that previously didn't work, and they worked.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium