Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:21:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supported Hardware

In list.freebsd-questions you wrote (30 Jun 1998 10:45:19 +0200):
 > I would like to upgrade my existing FreeBSD machine to the latest and
 > greatest and can't find a source that can tell me what PII
 > motherboards/chipsets are supported.  Am interested in PII dual
 > processor support and if not dual what PII single processor hardware is
 > supported.  Hope you can point me in the right direction - thanks in
 > advance.

The "latest and greatest" should be a quad Xeon-400 on a
450NX mainboard.  ;-)  (SCNR)

But no, I'm afraid I don't know whether this would work with
FreeBSD.  The latest proven-to-work hardware is a PII-400
("Deschutes").  I think there are dual boards for this out
there, based on intel's BX chipset.

If you want as high-end as possible and don't care much about
money, you might want to wait a few weeks and buy one of the
above-mentioned Xeon boxes.  Intel's new Xeon supports up to
four CPUs (while Deschutes and other PIIs support only two),
and it has 512 Kb or 1 Mb of 2nd level cache which is running
at full speed (other PIIs: only half of that).  The Xeon was
presented to the public yesterday.

(Finally a worthy server CPU replacement for the old PPro?
Well, let's see what intel broke this time...)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany