Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 21:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/31265: crontab(1) doesn't decribe format of allow and deny files.

The following reply was made to PR docs/31265; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: 01 Jan 2002 21:11:40 -0800

 Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org> writes:

 > I have written the following patch for the man page, and hopefully
 > someone can look over it and maybe commit it for me if they feel it's
 > ok?

 The re-write needs work.  I haven't taken the time to re-do the tests
 upon which my patch was based, but looking at this code from 4.5-Pre
 leads me to believe nothing's changed relative to the newline issue.

     /usr/src/usr.sbin/cron/lib/misc.c

 	while (fgets(line, MAX_TEMPSTR, file)) {
 		if (line[0] != '\0')
 			line[strlen(line)-1] = '\0';
 		if (0 == strcmp(line, string))
 			return TRUE;

 Note that it wipes out the last character before the null, which is
 the newline character except for a line which does not end with a
 newline, so that a user name at the end of the file with no trailing
 newline will be ignored.  It still looks to me like a user name which
 ends the file will be ignored.  I suspect a testing error.

 As for the rest, if you don't like my terse precision, then please add
 some more verbiage to yours to indicate that the user names must also
 not have any characters (such as whitespace) following them on the line.

 I think it's rather silly to say "you must use the correct format".

 I think "username" is not and should not be one word, despite the fact
 that it often is.

 Saying "Only one username must be added per line." doesn't read well.
 The sentence which follows that doesn't need a comma; the "or" clause is
 too short to require it.

 Saying "Comments may also be inserted into this file." leaves one asking
 what a legal comment is.  My patch provided that information.  A comment
 is a line which contains something other than a user name followed by a
 newline.