Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 08:24:56 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "David E. O'Brien" <obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port of su2

John-Mark Gurney writes:

>I'm not sure this is the place to mention it... but I was looking/workingo
>n porting another program and they use RPM to do it...  (you can't even
>get it to compile easily... and it looks like hell to get it to
>compile)...  they are trying to make it as a all platform packaging
>device...

I started out trying to port the rpm archive crap as archivers/rpm.
well it started out all find and well, but by the time I got
half through with it I was making some truly attrocious hacks
to get the thing to compile.  After a while, I had a `rpm2cpio'
binary, that'd extract stuff through the two-stages process.
I think that red-hat really went out of their way to make the
rpm stuff only work with the linux hodge-podge of includes.
Anyway I was so emabrassed with the hacks, that I never
finished it, however I could contribute a rpm2cpio binary.

>gurney_j@efn.org
>http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
>Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)
>
>Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)

eric.
--
erich@lodgenet.com
http://rrnet.com/~erich erich@rrnet.com