Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 17:16:34 +0000
From:      Matthew Gessner <mgessner.freebsd@flashmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about LOTS of outgoing TCP connections with data

I apologize immediately for the cross post, but I don't know who
frequents which lists.
At least I avoided hackers :-)

I have a program that creates X tcp connections to a given host (it's a
proprietary network interface card... X.25, TCP/IP, etc).

Now, I want to be able to test this sucker from FreeBSD.  When I start
all 400 connections, 3.1-RELEASE REBOOTS.

Hmm... kind of nasty behaviour.

I'm running on a Pentium 166MHz with 32MB of RAM and a 96MB swap space.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone tell me if I have a kernel
configuration problem with this?
Or is there something more sinister going on?

I KNOW FreeBSD can EASILY handle such things, a la www.cdrom.com which
hosts a lot more data throughput than this.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

HELLO to Eivind Eklund if he reads this!  ;-)

Matt Gessner, mgessner.freebsd@flashmail.com