Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 12:16:33 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Phil White <philw@webmaster.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, rhh@ct.picker.com
Subject:   Re: Socks5 and ftp

Phil White:
 |Anyone have trouble with FTPing from FreeBSD box through proxy and than
 |trying to do something like "ls" to pull a directory listing?
 |I get an error something like - "bind: can't assign requested address" and
 |doesn't return an "ls".

I have Socks4 and Socks5 built on my FreeBSD box and have been using
proxified clients through our Socks5 (and previously Socks4) firewall
without any problems.

 |I get the same results with the "fetch" command when trying to fetch ports
 |using FETCH_CMD="runsocks /usr/bin/fetch" - I think I'll have the same
 |trouble with cvsup?

I'm curious as to how you're getting runsocks to work since I don't believe
FreeBSD supports LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_PRELOAD (on BSD a.out).  At least I
didn't think it did.  I'm not at my FreeBSD box now, or I'd "man ld.so" and
double check, but I think I looked for this before.  Am I wrong?

Randall