Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 02:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/31096: New port for jakarta-tomcat 4

The following reply was made to PR ports/31096; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>
To: Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:53:39 +0200

 Hi Jonathan,

 Oops. Sorry, I must have been sleeping when I wrote that :)

 > >and you
 > > should have used portlint to check the port, because your RUN_DEPENDS
 > > needs to appear higher up in the file... :-)
 >
 > Fixed.

 Okay.

 > Updated file at:
 >
 >     http://users.itouch.co.nz/~jonc/ports/jakarta-tomcat4.tar.gz

 If I have any time I'll try it tomorrow.

 > > But I would love to see a Tomcat port. Perhaps you can take a look at the
 > > www/orion port to see how you can improve the value of your port by
 > > installing something like a tomcatctl script, add a man page, make sure
 > > Tomcat4 does not conflict with Tomcat3, Apache, Orion, etc by making sure
 > > the HTTP server listens at a different port (suggestion: 9040 or so).
 >
 > Yeah, I'd considered the port conflict, but had decided that people who
 > had been using tomcat for some time would not appreciate the unexpected
 > port change.

 Well, it's a new port (jakarta-tomcat4 instead of jakarta-tomcat), so it's
 not really a change of a current port.

 The advantages are obvious. If you use a different accept-port by default,
 then you can install and run Tomcat 3 and 4 at the same time. And Orion and
 Apache too :-) And perhaps in a not so distant future some other JSP
 containers too B-)

 BTW, if you're introducing a port containing a newer version of a program
 that is already in the ports tree (and stays there with the new one) you can
 also submit a diff. I was told to submit a diff between www/orion and
 www/orion-current when I submitted the latter. Just FYI. The advantage is
 that the new port has the same history as the older. So in fact it's becoming
 sort of a branch.

 Ernst

 --
 Ernst de Haan
 EuroNet Internet B.V.

     "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
         and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ