Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 18:09:57 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using two NCR 53C825 controllers blows up?

On Jun 8, 16:27, Dave Hayes wrote:
} "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com> writes:
} >What kind of machine is this?
}
} Oops, sorry. It's not a name brand per se. It is an "Intel Advanced
} ZP" motherboard. AMI Bios, and I don't have the revision handy.
}
} >However, the "second" card was actually installed with a lower address
} >or IRQ or something.  The only thing that made it come "after" the
} >first was because it was hacked into the BIOS that way.  After
} >bootstrapping, NT doesn't use the BIOS anymore, and so would make the
} >"second" controller into the first controller under NT, and the
} >"first" controller would become the second.  The drives on the
} >controllers, of course, would then follow the new order.  Very very
} >annoying.
}
} That's real swell, now how do I find out whether it's doing that?
} These NCR cards have jumpers to switch between INT A/B/C/D, but
} I don't think PCI interrupts are as simple as ISA ones. Do I hafta
} play with the jumpers?

No, PLEASE always use INT A for a single function PCI device
(like the NCR is) !

You may try swapping the locations of your controllers, or the
direction of the PCI bus probe (it currently scans from low to
high device numbers, as suggested in the PCI spec, but it seems
there are PCI BIOS implementations that probe from high device
numbers to low numbers).

If there is one non-WIDE and one WIDE NCR card in a system, then
the NCR SDMS software appears to always make the non-WIDE the
primary controller (ie. will try to boot from it).

Look into the LINT kernel config file for the syntax required
to hardwire SCSI drives. This will permit you to specify drive
names independently of the probe order.

Let me know if all of this does not solve your problem ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160