Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:45:24 +0000
From:      Hannes Hauswedell <freebsd@soulrebel.in-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Error creating label on .eli

Hi GEOM-Hackers,

I am having serious problems creating a label on a geli-container.

I've been using geli for some years now and never encountered similar
issues and google doesnt help.

I created a standard slice /dev/ar0s2 and first tried to create a label
on that. That works without problems. Then I decided to

geli init -l 256 -K MYKEY -s 4096 /dev/ar0s2
geli attach -k MYKEY /dev/ar0s2
bsdlabel -w /dev/ar0s2.eli
bsdlabel -e /dev/ar0s2.eli

I enter a few partions and leave all info but size *.

As soon as I save the label to disk I get:

WARNING: Expected rawoffset 487974, found 487974

Which looks strange in itself... I tried to read the source code but the
block is prefixed by:
/* Historical braindamage... */

So I figured I wouldnt really understand what was going on any way...

I tried to ignore the warning an just started copying data on a
partition inside the slice, but got a reboot with geli-write errors
in /var/log/messages.

I tried repartitioning and relabeling multiple times to no avail.

Thanks for any help!

Hannes - please keep me cc'ed!

P.S: System is 7.0RC2-GENERIC. The hardrives are both new 1TB of
different brands. The issues happen on both drives also when the drives
are not in soft-raid.