Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:15:39 +0200
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        Michael Slater <mikey@iexpress.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fact or Fiction (Unix vs NT)

At 09.02 15/04/99 +0800, you wrote:
>argument that NT Rules and Linux and FreeBSD cant do the job! Can
>anybody point me to similiar benchmarks that dispute the letter below ?

  Just my personal experience. In my company we have both NT fans and Unix
fans, so be sure that neither of us tweaked configurations to "win the prize".

  1) NT Server 4 SP4 w/ latest IIS on a dual PII/400 (HP NetServer LH3),
     256 MB RAM, U2W hardware RAID 1 subsystem, Intel Server network adapter
     w/ i960 on board, blah blah blah
  2) FreeBSD 2.2.7 w/ Apache 1.3.3 on a single PII/300 (HP NetServer E50),
     128 MB RAM, old UW subsystem, simple Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 network
     adapter, blah blah blah

  Both servers are loaded w/ about 12.000.000 hits per month (actually the
BSD load is slightly higher, let's say 13.000.000). The BSD box handles 12
different sites w/ 12 different IPs and runs many other services like, for
example, sendmail, although they aren't heavily loaded. The NT box handles
1 site being absolutely "clean", but it queries an SQL DB on another fast
machine, which isn't overloaded, linked at 100 Mbps FD.
  Results: the BSD box isn't heavily loaded at all (I'm sure even an old
P5/133 would do the job w/o problems); I mean, almost always more than 90%
idle in top. The NT box works well, but it needs all the machine's power to
run smoothly: we had to switch to this LH3 because when we was using an
LHPro dual PPro/200 there were moments the server being clearly overloaded
(both CPUs 100% in task manager, sloooow surfing of the site).
  Ah, stability. With SP4, NT crashes "only" about one time per month
(previously it used to crash about one time per week). I must admit: it's
decent. Anyway, I NEVER saw the BSD box crashing. The current record in our
company is of another 2.2.7 box heavily loaded with half a dozen important
and demanding services (much more loaded than the BSD web server): 110 days
of uptime. Of course, 110 days ago it didn't crashed... I simply had to
switch it off for minutes because I was working on its UPS. :-)

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it