Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 15:39:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MPEG Video and realplay

Hi,

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Geoff Buckingham wrote:

> > > Works fine for me.  Install the audio/linux-realplayer
> > > port.  Checkout /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer8/mimeinstall.sh to
> > > see which mime types are handled by it.

> MPEG video for realplayer used to be handled by a pluggin from
> bitcasting (www.bitcasting.com), this was originally only available in
> windows (and was very good). They have however been bought by EMC.

Well, I have problems with Real also on Windows. It might be ok with
simple MPEG Video filelists (.ram or .m3u). But I couldnt see much Video
in SMIL. Quicktime was better. It is a PII, 233 Mhz, 64 MB Ram. The URL
is http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs106/blatv.smi .

SMIL is great, but still not fully devellopped IMHO. There are special
QT tags and special Real tags.

Is there any paper in the net describing the differences between the two
players, describe the common tags in detail ?

Currently I use the description in:

http://service.real.com/help/library/guides/production8/htmfiles/smil.htm

Best,

H.