Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:38:13 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Clone FreeBSD Partition

At 11:30 AM 12.15.2002 +0100, dick hoogendijk wrote:
>On Dec 14 Gary wrote:
>> dick hoogendijk writes:
>>> What's the (dis)advantage of inode-per-inode cloning?
>
>> I just made the comment re: inode-per-inode because AFAIK that's the
>> way dump/restore will work.
>
>Ok w/ me. Don't know too much the ins-and-outs of backup progs yet, so I
>was (am) curious about the (dis)advantages of the most well-known-ones.
>People always mention dump/restore..
>
>> I'm not aware of an advantage or disadvantage to using dump/restore
>> (except for restoring from tape)
>
>Hmmm, I don't have a tape-unit unfortunately. Always clone to another
>harddive. Not quite sure what you mean right here.

Dick: You don't have to use Tapes. Check a little closer. Dump/restore
works very, very well from HD to HD. Makes bootable backups and is the one
I trust the most with my data and files system backups. "dd" is good for
"Ghost-like" image..... makes a bootable as well although you may have to
run fsck to boot up....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator