Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 04:18:59 +0000
From:      Alex <ak@freenet.co.uk>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't get vmware to run ( on -current )

Peter Wemm wrote:
> > > b) could not open /usr/local/lib/vmware/lib/vmm (no such file or directory)
>
> That is because /proc/curproc/exe is missing.  Under Linux it's a pointer to
> the executable file (like our "file" used to be before it was killed).  A
> trivial patch to reactivate it in a form that is useable by vmware:
>
> +       { DT_REG, N("exe"),     Pfile,          procfs_validfile },
>
> This works because the Pfile support code hasn't been removed.
>
> Or you can check out the linprocfs stuff, see the vmware pages for a pointer.
> It provides a linux-like /compat/linux/proc that provides the missing bits
> that linux programs expect.

Peter,

Since you seem to be fairly well acquainted with the code in question,
perhaps you could review and commit the linprocfs stuff?   The Pfile
support code could then be included in the linprocfs emulator rather
than completely removed.

I don't think anyone would doubt the usefulness of Linux procfs support.

Alex