Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 1995 01:46:02 -0600
From:      John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Robert Du Gaue <rdugaue@calweb.com>, Robert Watson <robert@fledge.watson.org>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ****HELP*****

> > It would be better if the installer would just:
> >  1) Overwrite older versions of programs with the newer versions
> >  2) Delete any obsoleted programs (and preferably make symlinks to the
> >     newer ones)
> >  3) Add new files to existing system
>
> Unfortunately, the raw materials that the installer has to work with
> (distributions) aren't nearly that easily applicable to the more
> general problem you'd like me to solve.  Only a filestore that allows
> me to do file by file operations will allow for this kind of
> intelligent merge.  A split, gzip'd tar file is not that kind of
> filestore.

I'm not very much of a Unix expert at all, but it seems to me that problem #1
could easily be solved (the know binaries simply overwrite the old ones --
assuming the have the same name, as most do).  #3 also, it just extracts the
tar.gz'd files, no problem there.

#2 is a different story.  Probably all it would take, though, is a list of
files to be deleted if exist.  One filename per line, and a simple program to
delete it.  I'd be willing to write such a program if necessary.  Perhaps a
checksum or something would be good as well....

> I'm happy, as always, to accept contributions of code that help
> solve these problems! :-)

Let me know on #2 via e-mail (not on this list) if you want me to throw
together a C program....

--
John Goerzen, programmer and owner   | MICRO$oft only exists because some
Communications Centre & Complete BBS | people are too dumb to get something