Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 1995 15:22:15 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@jhome.DIALix.COM>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-current-stable ???

> > Generally I would be interested to help testing and debugging new
> > FreeBSD-current features. But when reading the -current mailing list,
> > FreeBSD-current, so to say FreeBSD-2.2 in it's early days, seems to be
> > an instability nightmare. Perhaps this expression is a bit oversized,
> > but please understand my point of view.

> I do dissagree. -current is exceptionally stable for what it is...

I *BEG* to differ.  -Current is absolutely useless for me, and I'm
running a system that it about as stock as it can get.  This box ran
2.0.5 for weeks w/out problems, and I can't run for more than 5 minutes
under -current.  Now, if you consider that 'exceptionally stable', I
guess we have some differences in how we communicate stability.

> > I read in -current very often messages like, can't boot, can't compile,
> > unreferenced symbols, ... and so on ...
> >
> Usually this is pilot error. It usually requires the user to compile more
> or check their configuration.....

I beg your pardon?  I've been doing this for a *LONG* time (as long as
most folks), and even now wearing the hat of 'release engineer' for
SRI's internal BSD release.  I *do* know what I'm doing and I can say
that -current is completely and absolutely unusable for me.

I *want* to run -current so I can help work out the bugs in it.  I like
the idea of -current for many reasons, two of them being:
1) It's the only fair place for new/radical changes to be integrated in
2) It gives these changes a chance to be tested

However, the -current kernel tree has been broken for many people for
over 6 weeks now.  I remember folks complaining about getblk() hangs in
early November, and I although it appears that they are fixed for some
folks (and for unknown reasons), we have yet to see a version of
-current since November that is has been compilable and usable for a
majority of folks.

I finally have given up on a -current kernel simply because my machine
reboots with no panic messages or dumps if I don't have DDB installed,
and hangs with DDB.  I am now tracking -current only in those parts of
user-land code which don't require 2.2 functionality.  There have been
few changes in the user-land stuff though.

> Sometimes it's something due to the symbol space cleanup
> going on, but I tyhink this is vastly overstated..
> the -current kernel is in a successfully compilabel state
> 90% of the time.. from my commercial experience I'd say this is a
> REMARKABLE achievement..

I don't mind it being a little bit broken, but when we have *serious*
instability problems, it shouldn't be the goal of everyone to stuff in
'one more feature' which affects the entire system.  There have been 4-5
major wide sweeping changes that affect the entire kernel sources since
the tree was opened up, any one which can make the kernel
unstable/un-compilable.  I know for a fact that the kernel was unstable
after the first couple additions, but that didn't stop folks from adding
more to the tree, thus making it more difficult to track down the
problem.

> > Since I only have one PC and one harddisk, as many other people,
> > it's not possible for me to switch to -current, because I need
> > a certain level of stability.
>
> you should be able to do all your initial development with 2.1

Then -current has no purpose.  I'll bet the number of folks who actually
run -current are less than 20.  This means that -current serves no
purpose which couldn't be served by sending patches to one another,
since the audience is extremely small.

> You can also have two kernel trees (for example) and compile and run
> 2.2 kernels froma 2.1 tree..

> you will have to compile 2.2 versions of some utilities (ps etc)
> but it's quite doable.. I do it here

It doesn't work very well at all.  It *sort of* works, but you're not
testing anything new, since all the new interesting stuff in the
user-land requires a -current kernel.  All the non-interesting stuff
doesn't need to be tested or was tested well before it was integrated.
:)

> > When speaking with people like Martin Cracauer, then I get
> > the impression, that possibly more people would be interested
> > to help in FreeBSD developement. Perhaps developing additional
> > features, too. But they only have one machine, which shouldn't
> > get into a very unstable state.
>
> you don't need to totally upgrade..
> you can..
> 1/ do development on 2.1

You can't do kernel development on 2.1 since the kernel has changed
radically in -current.

> 2/ make a chroot tree, filled with 2.2 binaries

Which works for all the non-important user-land stuff.

> 3/ use the 2.1 reee with a 2.2 kernel for testing
> -current is by definition kinda unstable.. it's a feature, not a problem..

I agree that -current can be uncompilable for short times, and unstable
for short times, but 6 weeks is way too long.  There are *bugs* in the
kernel which were known about 6 weeks ago which still haven't been
addressed, but 'progress' has gone out without progress being made.

> > If there is a brand new driver with a risk of crashing the systemm
> > it should be added and tested there.
> No the code that is SO green that it cashes the systems should be tested in
> people's private trees..

Obviously this hasn't been done.  When reports of crashes come in, the
developers attitude has been 'it works for me, I'm going to assume it's
pilot error', rather than 'here is how you can work with me to find the
problem'.

Not to single you out alone, but your 'JREMOD' changes were announced
one day, installed into the tree the next day, and then you complained
that folks weren't giving you feedback less than 48 hours after they
were put in.  First of all, the tree was unstable *before* the changes
went in, so folks weren't running -current until those were fixed.
Then, those folks that were supposed to quickly get the new sources,
compile up new kernels, and test them out in less than 48 hours and give
you valid feedback?  I don't think that's fair to either the developers
or the users.

Now, this *is* a volunteer project and everyone is free to do what they
wish, but that doesn't give folks cause to put in their 'pet project'
into the tree no matter what state the tree is in.

> > If the new driver doesn't cause crashes or such it shoud move to
> > FreeBSD-current, to introduce it to a larger audience that is
> > willed to test the bleeding edge.
> i.e just like now..

I doubt we have the number of folks running -current that we had for the
1.X releases.  I doubt we have the number of folks running -current that
we had since the 2.0 release.

> I run -current...
> I don't have problems..
> if it aint broke don't fix it..

That's the attitude I'm seeing.  "If I don't see any problems, there
must not be any problems."  Is this the same Julian Elischer who
complained for months that 'FreeBSD must have a problem since the same
hardware runs OSF fine and crashes repeatedly under FreeBSD'?

How come it's fine to act this way when it doesn't affect you directly,
but it's not when it affects you?

> what we have now is working fine...
> if you can't cope with the TINY hickups happenning

I don't consider these TINY anymore.  I can see the tree being broken
for weeks, but *IF* it's broken then the free for all that's happened in
the tree shouldn't occur.

Kernel folks, the kernel is broken w/regard to a large number of folks
who try to run it.  I think we have a number of folks who are willing to
work with you to make it better, but there isn't any co-operation from
you.  We need your help to make it better, and telling folks "it works
for me, it must be something you've done" is only making the problem
worse.

Nate