Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:53:43 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        Gasparetti <rafael@cas.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panics

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 07:52:37AM -0300, Gasparetti wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
>     I'm totally new to the FreeBSD world and I already started with a big problem! I have a COMPAQ Presario computer, with 192M of RAM, 28G HD, webcam, but I don't know certainly what kind of motherboard I have.
>     Well, after the installation process (4.5 version), when the system reboots it's showed a message about kernel panics, page fault, etc... I read in some documents, that i need to get the "instruction pointer" and use some commands like "grep" to use the instruction pointer value and get some output. But I don't know how to do this, because there's always an "ok shell" wich I can't get out of it.
>     So I have some questions:
> 1. What I really should do to repair that kernel panic and run FreeBSD (step by step, please!)?

To bad you didn't copy the kernel panic output. I know it sucks to type
it over but it shows lots of information about what is going wrong where.
The shell you're in is the kernel debugger, which you can use to 'backtrace'
the functions it has called to see where it goes wrong. (Think driver problem)
Try typing 'trace' at that silly ok prompt to see a list of functions the
kernel called (stack dump).

If you never touched a c debugger before it might be rather difficult to
use so I suggest you try out some 'default' kernels.
The installation kernel clearly seemed to work ok since you've installed it
using it, so this is the best place to start.
Put your install cd back in the cdrom and reboot the computer.
When booted, whenever you press alt-f4 (or f3 I never remeber things exactly ;)
you'll be seeing a root shell. In that, you can mount your partitions on
let's say /mnt.
Now you can just copy the install kernel (/kernel) to your system (/mnt/kernel)
and reboot.

If you never replaced your default kernel then you might disable some
drivers using the visual userconfig. Type boot -c at the boot prompt for that.
You should be provided with an interface to select the hardware you actually
have. Start with a minimum and work you way to the top so you can identify
what is causing the trouble.

> 2. Is there some good documentation to do this (What I mentioned above I read in a FAQ)?

Booting process:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/boot.html
man boot

Custom kernel configuration:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

The Kernel Debugger:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/x4862.html

> 3. It could be a motherboard problem (so I'll never run FreBSD on my machine)?

It might be caused due to some on board hardware, or some other device which
conflicts, or bad memory or an overclocked machine. Without any additional
information about the dump I can't say anything for sure. Most of the time
it's either bad memory or a device probe which gets *very* confused.

> I hope you could help me. Thanks a lot!
>
> Best Regards,
> Rafael

Gr,