Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2012 06:21:58 +0000
From:      "b.f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        jnagyjr1978@gmail.com, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cpu setting in kernel options file

>The really important bit being the first line. Could I put K8 and
>gcc/clang be okay with it? Or should I leave the cpu line in my kernel
>conf file alone?

Leave it alone.  The choices for the cpu directive in the kernel
config file, as described in config(5) and listed in
src/sys/conf/options.<arch> (the only choice for amd64 is HAMMER),
have nothing to do with the choices available for the CPUTYPE variable
(which you may want to change to suit your hardware -- these are the
architecture-dependent options available for the -march and -mtune
directives of your compiler that are also recognized by bsd.cpu.mk),
or with the cpu descriptions printed during boot.

b.