Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:54:02 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Language for Modeling Mechanical System

Jason C. Wells said on Jul 25, 2000 at 23:41:36:
> I have been conceiving a model of a motor vehicle in my head.  Kinematics
> calculations are no fun. I am loathe to do many calculations when I can
> let a computer do them for me.
>
> I have looked at oodles of different "this vs that" language comparos on
> the net. What I really need is symbolic math functionality.
> Mathematica can do this for me. I desire to write a stand alone
> program.
>
> I was hoping to find a language that can give me symbolic math
> functionality along with integration and differentiation. The coolest
> would be to find something that does math as slick as PHP does HTML.
>
> I am thinking of going with C or perhaps Ada, primarily because C works
> with Tcl and Ada is used for missile guidance systems which are heavily
> kinematic.
>
> If someone out there can tell me of a language I can use that can do what
> I need more easily, I would love to hear your suggestions. The big
> criteria is, "Does the language make mathematical modeling easy?"
>
> I figure there just has to be something out there that does mathematical
> modeling. I just haven't found it yet.

If you want something that does symbolic manipulation like
Mathematica, I don't think it exists.  If you write something like
that, I'm definitely interested :-)

There's a slashdot thread on free symbolic packages which someone pointed
out to me once, it's a bit old though:
   http://slashdot.org/askslashdot/00/02/27/1343255.shtml
There's also a recent thing called Kalamaris, still in development,
requires KDE2 to compile; I have no idea how usable that is.
   http://www.arrakis.es/~rlarrosa/kalamaris.html

Rahul.