Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:15:49 +0200
From:      Daniel Hartmeier <daniel@benzedrine.cx>
To:        Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
Cc:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic with PF

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 10:57:28AM +0200, Michal Mertl wrote:

> The proxy in fact runs in parallel (according to "pfctl -s info" it did
> about 50 inserts and removal in the state table per second - some 10Mbit
> of traffic, probably mostly HTTP) and it is quite possible that your
> explanation is correct. I will forward your suspicion to the vendor.
> This functionality of the software (using PF with anchors) is quite new
> - they used different mechanisms in previous versions so it may well
> have some bugs.

Anchors were introduced for this purpose, i.e. splitting the ruleset
into separate pieces, over each of which a single process can have
authority, so different processes don't stomp on each other's toes with
ruleset modifications.

Ask them if they really need to still use DIOCCHANGERULE, as the idea
with anchors is generally to only operate within one anchor, and usually
flush or replace the (smaller) ruleset within.

Each anchor has its own ticket, so if you're seeing ticket mismatches,
that means there are concurrent operations on the same anchor, even.

Daniel