Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 11:39:22 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

>>> sos@FreeBSD.org said:
 > >
 > > Quite the contrary.  MANY people still can't get X working on their
 > > hardware (I even believe Soren is one of them, with the fancy 4MB
 > > Diamond Viper Pro Video card I gave him! :-( ) and those that do
 > > often only get there after a titanic struggle.
 >
 > Oh boy yes, I've had my share of fun :(
 > (newsflash: it seems Xinside has now provided me with a version that
 > works, so as I'm typing this I'm in 1280x1024x16Mil colors, not bad :) )
 >
 > > We also have to keep apples and oranges separate.  A cool set of GUI
 > > apps for X?  Sure!  A cool X based *installation* for FreeBSD, or
 > > anything else on the critical path requiring X?  Not something we can
 > > entertain yet.
 >
 > I think we have to get this sorted out once anf for all.
 >
 > We cannot assume that Joe Random User has X capable HW, and much less
 > that he knows what it is he has.

We *should* assume that Joe out on the Net has  X capable HW .
If we have problems with *supported* X hardware then we should addressed
them and not say that we should not be emphasizing  X capable apps.

I am not sure what is the problem with this group with its lack of
interest in deploying *apps* whether they are X based or not .
It has been this way since I can remember 386bsd. My feeling is
that to a large extent we depend on apps being developed else where.
However, if people are going to write apps then I think that they should be
X oriented. Things like sysintall for now is okay to use curses but
aside from that I find it very, very difficult to justify any further
development of apps to be curses based or some funky non-standard
graphic GUI. Even if a funky graphic API is developed we still got
the small matter of motivating individuals to contribute or attracting
individuals that can contribute at the application level.

	*It is time to move on and/or contribute*

	Amancio