Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 23:23:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        des@ofug.org, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

:In article <xzpwv1hq2ck.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> you write:
:>Chapter and verse, please.  Not just a repetition of what somebody
:>else says may or may not be in C90.
:
:Cheap shot.  See C90 defect report #67,
:<http://wwwold.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/dr_067.html>.
:Although neither time_t nor ``arithmetic type'' is not explicitly
:mentioned in the defect report, the answers to Clive Feather's final
:two questions apply.

    Take a look at this:

    http://wwwold.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/summary.htm

    This is the defect list for C99.  It directly contradicts the reasoning
    in C90 defect report #67.  Read #201 and #204.  In the #201 the submitter
    tried to change the standard to require that size_t be no wider then
    unsigned long, but there was NO consensus to make this change.  In
    #204 the submitter wants to explicitly allow size_t to be a 'long long'.
    #204 was incorporated into TC1.  I found TC1 and looked it up, and
    it's there:

	"The types used for size_t and ptrdiff_t should not have an
	integer conversion rank greater then that of signed long unless the
	implementation supports objects large enough to make this necessary"

    Obviously they have caved in.  'long long' is being treated as an
    integral type.  In a draft I found it defined as being an
    'extended integral type'.  This implies that it can be used for time_t.
    Unless something explicitly forbids it I think going to 64 bit time_t's
    in 5.0 is the correct action to take.

    ... still waiting for someone who has the latest C99 spec to look this
    stuff up :-)

						-Matt

:-GAWollman
:
:--
:Garrett A. Wollman   | O Siem / We are all family / O Siem / We're all the same