Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 10:21:09 -0500
From:      Michael E Mercer <mmercer@ipass.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FIXED! >>> upgrade to 4.0 from 3.4 failure...

I have fixed my problem and am now running the 3.4-Stable.

I would like to still upgrade to 4.0-Release, can someone
give me a more descriptive outline of what I need to do
to go from 3.4-Stable to 4.0-Stable?

Since I tried following the UPGRADING file in the /usr/src
and horribly failed... I would like a little help...

Thanks
Michael Mercer
mmercer@ipass.net

well people,

I never fail to screw things up bad...

alright, I followed the instructions below,
taken from the UPGRADING file in /usr/src

I got all the way to 'config YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'
and everything just died. after playing with
a few things, me and my infinite wisdom (should I say
finite) decided to just installworld first then build
a kernel before I reboot.. well this failed horribly
and now nothing works... I always get signal 12
when try to run make <anything>.

I have been following FreeBSD since 2.1.6 and have
upgraded using cvsup and make world (using the UPGRADING file)
everytime a new release is out...

However this time, I can not figure out how to fix my
screw up. Need help...

I have not rebooted my pc since I know nothing will come up
if I do, so what can I do to fix things, at this point
I do not care what release I go to... 4.0 or 3.4

Can I just overwrite the installed files somehow? using sysinstall?
whatever... HELP me please!

later
Michael
mmercer@ipass.net

COMMON ITEMS:

To build a kernel
-----------------
Update config, genassym and go:
cd src/usr.bin/genassym
make depend all install clean
cd ../../usr.sbin/config
make depend all install clean
cd ../../sys/i386/conf
config YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
cd ../../compile/YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
make depend && make
make install

To rebuild disk /dev entries
----------------------------
MAKEDEV should be copied from src/etc/MAKEDEV to /dev before
starting the following:
For N in the list of disks
MAKEDEV N     # eg ad0
for M in the list of slices
MAKEDEV NsMa    # eg ad0s1a

To rebuild everything
---------------------
make world

Except when it doesn't work.
To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
--------------------------------
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
cd sbin/mknod
make install
<follow directions to build/install a kernel>
<follow rebuild disk /dev entries above>  [*]
reboot
<in single user>
cd /usr/src
make -DNOINFO installworld
make installworld
[*] You may need to switch from wd to ad ala 1999121