Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 23:24:05 -0500
From:      Scanner <scanner@apricot.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: startslip

Shiva Ramabadran <shiva@nandi.com> writes:

> In message <24813.816483844@time.cdrom.com> Jordan writes:
>  }
>  } I've never gotten it to work from slattach.  Maybe it
>  } works for other people, but for me it croaks immediately
>  } after invocation when run by slattach, whereas it works
>  } fine when run with the same arguments (and
>  } script) if run by itself.
>  }
>
> Works flawlessly for me. I don't even bother to dial first
> before invoking the slattach. I just pass the chat script
> to slattach as the "redial on carrier loss" script with the
>  -r option.  It forks the script off, a few seconds after
>  starting up, when it realizes it does not have carrier detect.
>
> I'm running a vanilla 2.1.0-950726-SNAP.

Actually, I had the exact same behaviour that Jordan speaks of,
and I am using the exact same script Shiva was. For kicks, I
told slattach to use 57600 and.. voila, it works.

I have not bothered to look any further since my net connection
is now UP and working and have been too busy preparing to uproot
my entire world from one coast to the other, but it sounds
to me like a curiously misconfigured serial port.

(BTW, I am running 2.0.5-RELEASE on this machine.)

--Scanner	(scanner@apricot.com)