Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:56:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ev4/5/6 issue ?

Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
 > (gdb) where
 > #0  0x12001f4e8 in ?? ()

Try 'disassemble' here, please.

 > 	1. Why doesn't file(1) tell me if a binary is ev45 or ev6 ?
 >
 > 	2. Couldn't the elf activator not find out and say "Sorry,
 > 	   cannot execute ev6 on this machine" ?

Because there is no way of knowing, and in general, you don't need to
know.

As I said previously, the kernel is supposed to fixup newer
instruction executed on older machines.   However, this is expensive,
and the toolchain should not be emitting code with those instructions
in the first place, unless it is told to.

Drew