Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/28296: change request for sys/i386/conf/NOTES

The following reply was made to PR kern/28296; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:55:59 +1000 (EST)

 On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Dima Dorfman wrote:

 >  Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
 >  >
 >  > >Number:         28296
 >  > >Category:       kern
 >  > >Synopsis:       change request for sys/i386/conf/NOTES
 >  >
 >  > The NOTES file revision 1.926 contains the following (slightly edited
 >  > to avoid wrapping beyond column 80):
 >  >
 >  >     options  CONSPEED=9600  #default speed for serial console (default 9600)
 >  >
 >  > >Fix:
 >  >
 >  > I think that using the word `default' twice in the same line is a bit
 >  > too much.  [...]
 >
 >  I think what it's trying to say is that CONSPEED is the default
 >  console speed, and 9600 is the default value of the default.  I.e.,
 >  the speed of a specific console can be changed at run-time *and* the
 >  initial speed of a new console can be changed at run time.  This
 >  compile-time variable sets the initial value of the latter variable.

 Anyway, it is a bug NOTES to set options to their default value.  The
 default values get linted enough by GENERIC, so NOTES should lint
 non-default values.  This line should say:

 options 	CONSPEED=115200		#speed for serial console (default 9600)

 modulo style bugs and usage bugs.

 Style bugs:
 - Missing space after '#'.  NOTES is very inconsistent, but mostly uses a
   space after the comment character except for commenting out options.
 - Comment not in English (missing capitalization and punctuation).  NOTES is
   very inconsistent...
 - Line too long (80 columns).
 - NOTES is not a good place to decument defaults, except negatively by
   setting non-defaults.

 Usage bugs:
 - This option should never be used, at least on i386's.  It was superseded
   by better support for using the speed set by the boot loader (this
   speed is configured by BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED in /etc/make.conf).  It
   was removed in 1997 in rev.1.170 of sio.c but unremoved in the next
   commit, apparently to work around deficiencies in nonstandard boot
   loaders.  There is also a sysctl to change the speed.

 Bruce