Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 19:50:03 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some significant (daresay serious) problems with 2.2.1 install & keyboard

J Wunsch wrote:
> David's problem is Data General's mailer setup at dg-rtp.  As i
> understand it, he's using this service for free (and withouth the
> agreement to receive spam :), and nobody's ever going change anything
> on DG's side... ;-)  (I used to have similar address mangling problems
> back in the time when my employer used DG machines, until i revamped
> the sendmail.cf from scratch.)

I'm in precisely the same position with one of my uucp links.

I rarely use it these days other than for incoming mail
pickup, but the address remains "alive" for the sake of
holding over my old email addresses to which I still receive
half a dozen a week. Everything gets "banged" up royally,
although I *can* massage headers using sendmail to strip out
the cruft and do site->domain substitution and rewriting once
it gets here, I can't do much about anything that goes out via
that same route (consequently, I don't send anything that way
either :-)).

The sendmail.cf running on that site must be over a decade old
and even then was one of the very few UUCP relay systems left
in this country (for anyone interested, this is munnari.oz.au
aka mulga.oz.au). When I originally asked for it to be fixed
back in '89 or so, I was told "don't mess with what works". Of
course, this is some new and wonderful definition of the term
'works' I had never heard of previously. Still, the mail
arrives and that link has been free of charge for all these
years, so I'm not about to complain further.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/