Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:44:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        andre@pipeline.ch (IBS / Andre Oppermann)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .US domains (was: Softupdates crash: Got it!)

> > > On a totally different subject;  Where did you register your domain name?
> > >
> > > I keep forgetting the name of that non-internic entity.
> >
> > ARIN -- the American Registry for Internet Numbers
> >
> > It's a wholly owned subsidiary of InterNIC, as far as I can tell...
>
> Nope, ARIN states on it's second page:
>
>  ARIN is a non-profit organization established for the purpose of
>  administration and registration of Internet Protocol (IP) numbers
>  to the geographical areas previously managed by Network Solutions,
>  Inc. (InterNIC).          ^^^^^^^^^^

I'm pretty sure the same people own both places, and it's just a dodge
to keep control of the registry.

If you track back the registered names to their origins, you will
see that they are withing 20 miles of each other in Virgina, and
the same people are involved (admittely, you'll have to go "off the
net" (God forbid!) for that information...

Not that I'm complaining: $35 is less than $50; but maybe I've
been "bought off" for a $15 differential for what I really think
should be free.

On the other hand, disincenting people like Dupont from domaining all
its registered trademarks has a bit to be said for it... not the least
of which is that it's tacit admission that the trademark namespace and
the DNS namespace are not equal...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---