Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:36:53 +0800
From:      Jun Su <csujun@gmail.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Propose for Several Dump types

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:51:21 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp
<phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> In message <cd4370cf04121417446c96319f@mail.gmail.com>, Jun Su writes:
> >On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:48:44 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp
> ><phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> >> Make it an EVENTHANDLER() and dump it in ascii format.
> >                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Don't think the ascii format is a good choose. We can only dump the
> >information like the ones we can get in the KDB. My propose is storing
> >the pages that the stack point is in. Then we can get more useful
> >stack in the userland with the kernel file and kernel symbol.
>
> An ascii format summary is a _great_ format because people can email
> us it without knowing anything else.  We could in fact make it
> a /etc/rc.conf tunable:  "send_panic_reports=YES" and we would
> receive it in email whenever a crash occured.
We can also create an automation system to collect these information.
When the number of crash in same function reaches a thorehold, it will
send a report to a ML. :-) Sounds your idea is interesing.
Anyway, I still think ascii format dump can not replace the minidump.
Minidump can provide more information.

> --

-- Jun Su