Date:      Mon, 13 Jun 2022 20:06:41 +0200
From:      Kristof Provost <kp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kajetan Staszkiewicz <vegeta@tuxpowered.net>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: route-to, interfaces and pfsync

On 13 Jun 2022, at 19:49, Kajetan Staszkiewicz wrote:
> On 2022-06-13 14:33, Kristof Provost wrote:
>>> This brings us to OpenBSD. They have decided to drop the interface
>>> from route-to targets
>>> (https://github.com/openbsd/src/commit/5812a4ad62ca07807ac0bc59f22eb8=
813e6069bc
>>> <https://github.com/openbsd/src/commit/5812a4ad62ca07807ac0bc59f22eb8=
813e6069bc> ).
>>> How about we do the same? If porting this change from OpenBSD has a
>>> chance of getting aproved and merged, I'd be willing to work on it.
>>

>> That=E2=80=99s a breaking syntax change, at there=E2=80=99s at least o=
ne major FreeBSD/pf user that relies heavily on route-to (i.e. pfSense). =
So something that=E2=80=99d break that is not going to be easy.

>> However, (without having looked at the patch in great detail) we might=
 be able to support both the old style |route-to (epair0a 1.2.3.4)| and a=
 new |route-to (1.2.3.4)| or even |route-to (@1.2.3.4)| or something if t=
hat disambiguates better. If we can ensure the old style keeps working (w=
ith any limitations it currently has), which also supporting the new styl=
e that=E2=80=99d give everyone a chance to migrate. We could then remove =
the old style in say 15.0.

> How about I make the parser accept the syntax with the interface and wi=
thout it and then ignore the interface, and the pf C code will be all don=
e without the interface? Would that have a chance of being accepted into =
14.0?

That=E2=80=99d be a pretty significant behaviour change, so I=E2=80=99m n=
ot a fan. It=E2=80=99s bound to trip people up.

Kristof