Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:28:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dan Riley <daniel@vailsys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp script \ character

Hello,

I am having a bit of a problem sending this string to my BitSurfr Pro:

set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\"
AT&F&C1&D2\Q3%A2=3&M@B0=2 OK \\dATD\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
          ^
chat does not like this "\" character and omits it when communicating
with the modem and I can not find a way to escape it. Notice the sending
string in the log below:

<ppp.log>
03-19 11:08:57 [464] sending: AT&F&C1&D2Q3%A2=3&M@B0=2
03-19 11:08:57 [464] Expecting OK
03-19 11:08:57 [464] Wait for (5): OK --> OK
03-19 11:09:03 [464] got: AT&F&C1&D2Q3%A2=3&M@B0=2
ERROR

I have been scouring man pages on chat and ppp, but can't seem to find
the solution other then tossing the BitSurfr out. :)

				Thanks in advance,
				Dan Riley