Date:      Mon, 30 May 2022 10:49:49 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Alfonso S. Siciliano" <alfix86@gmail.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsdinstall TUI utility

<alfix86@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Hello,
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> So far I replaced and adapted `dialog` with `bsddialog` in
>>> bsdinstall/scripts.
>>> <https://wiki.freebsd.org/RoadmapFromDialogToBSDDialog>;
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Currently, I am addressing the last 4 scripts: auto, bootconfig, =
keymap,
>>> and wlanconfig. These scripts use also the $DIALOG variable and some
>>> "if" to handle Xdialog(1).
>>> For example 'auto' uses $DIALOG, $USE_XDIALOG, and `dialog`.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Can we simply add USE_GNU_DIALOG and switch USE_DIALOG to mean =
bsddialog?
>>=20
>>=20
>>> * $DIALOG: I seem bsdinstall(8) uses only dialog(1) as TUI utility.
>>=20
>> bsdinstall(8) uses only dialog(1) in the context of $DIALOG
>>=20
>> ASIDE: It also uses dialog(3) and dpv(3)/dpv(1)
>>=20
>>=20
>>> * I seem bsdconfig(8) does not "call" these 4 scripts, so, probably,
>>> Xdialog(1) is not used in this context (that is `bsdconfig -X`).
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Correct, bsdconfig does use bsdinstall
>>=20
>>=20
>>> Is there any objection to delete $DIALOG/LGPL-dialog/Xdialog to
>>> provide only the support for bsddialog(1) in bsdinstall(8)?
>>>=20
>>=20
>> I object.
>>=20
>> I and another developer are adding support for zenity
>>=20
>> =
https://github.com/FrauBSD/pkgcenter/tree/bsdconfig/zenity/depend/bsdconfi=
g =
<https://github.com/FrauBSD/pkgcenter/tree/bsdconfig/zenity/depend/bsdconf=
ig>
>>=20
>> There is also work to resolve the namespace issues in bsdinstall
>>=20
>> =
https://github.com/FrauBSD/pkgcenter/tree/bsdinstall/namespace/depend/bsdc=
onfig =
<https://github.com/FrauBSD/pkgcenter/tree/bsdinstall/namespace/depend/bsd=
config>
>>=20
>> I am in favor of keeping $DIALOG/LGPL-dialog/Xdialog support where it =
exists until those efforts can be completed.
>>=20
>> ASIDE: bsdinstall doesn=E2=80=99t use Xdialog
>=20
> I don't think we should block the replacement of dialog with bsddialog =
in base,
> based on project which have not been touched at all for more than 2 =
years.

Nobody is blocking anything, stand down.

They haven=E2=80=99t been =E2=80=9Ctouched =E2=80=A6 for more than 2 =
years=E2=80=9D because I am working on large changes that cannot be =
committed piece-meal.

> (I am
> not blaming anyone involved in those project, time flies quickly :( ).

I don=E2=80=99t know what you mean by this.

> In particular considering that X-dialog is a long dead project, which =
will
> probably get removed from the ports tree soonish, and that dialog(1) =
and
> dialog(3) are planned to get removed from base.
>=20

I=E2=80=99m not sure of the relevance to retaining a transitional period =
that prevents undue burden on integration efforts.

> Don't get me wrong, I do think that there is a value in support =
multiple dialog
> like application, but either we have the ongoing project back into =
active mode
> and work with Alfonso

OK

> to ease the integration of bsddialog,

The easiest path to feature parity is a transitional period where =E2=80=94=
 regardless of the removal of dialog from base =E2=80=94 dialog-handling =
code is retained so that integration is not hampered with a head lacking =
support that is ever-drifting away from the last-known-good point.

> or we complete the
> switch of bsddialog at the price of breaking other dialog utilities =
support and
> later on, it will be possible to resume the zenity project (or any =
other) on top
> of it.
>=20
> So to summerize, are the people working on the bsdconfig having time =
to help

Yes. I am not the only maintainer =E2=80=94 I have another developer =
that I have been working with for over 2 years on our existing roadmap =
in GitHub =E2=80=94 either myself or my unofficial mentee can review =
changes to bsdconfig.

What the community here seems to be implying is that since there were =
few-to-no commits on the tree that the code has become defunct when that =
is far from the truth. The reality is that the code has only received =
minor changes in the past 3-4 years because:

1. It is stable
2. Like the bsddialog project, we have our silo where are working our =
roadmap (albeit not in the main f.o git view)

> and/or able to propose a concrete plan on how to integrate easily =
bsdialog to help
> Alfonso moving forward? if yes then that is the best situation for =
all, if no, I
> think we should pursue with Alfonso's proposal

I recommended a concrete plan in my last e-mail to Alfonso.

Retain existing LGPL-handling code regardless of removal of =
dialog(1),dialog(3) from base so that I and my colleagues can have an =
integration period. As previously explained, removing deprecated code =
simply because the tool has been removed from base (when an integrator =
like myself or my colleagues that work on bsdconfig can simply =
re-install it during the sweetheart integration period) makes it =
unnecessarily difficult to remediate regressions.
=E2=80=94=20
Kindest regards,
Devin=