Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:51:14 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Subject:   Re: Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:44:47 -0500, Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net> wrote:

> Have you migrated these hosts, or were they installed in-place and
> never moved?
> fwiw the apparent integrity of things on the VM is consistent with
> our experience too.

VMMotion and StorageVMMotion does not seem to affect the stability. Even
deleting the VM, rebuilding from scratch, re-installing all packages from
scratch, copying over a few configs and then copying in any other data
(perhaps website data) does not solve the problem.

However, our two most notorious for crashing happen to be webservers. We
moved one to hardware. We simply rsync'd the exact data (entire OS and
files) off the VM onto hardware, made a few config changes (fstab, network
interface) and it's been running for 4+ months now with zero crashes.

I don't think it's corruption :/