Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:00:41 -0400
From:      "James E. Housley" <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        lyncy@bsdunix.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP and Celerons...

Pat Lynch wrote:

> Heya, sorry I tried this one on -stable and -questions and noone seems to
> know, and they actually go so far as to ask me how I got two celerons in a
> motherboard...

Couple of things.  freebsd-smp is probably the best list.

> I have two PPGA(Socket 370) Celeron 333A's that are on MSI6905 Dual Socket
> 1 adaptors...
>
> a Tyan Thunder 2 motherboard (onboard scsi, sound, etc.)
>
> I boot an SMP kernel, it gets right past autoboot... then panics
>
> the message was that it "could not find local apic"...
>
> its kinda strange because essentially with these adaptors, the celerons
> should be 1) SMP capable, and 2) the same as a PII, except no L2 cache

I have two PPGA Celereon 300A's over clocked to 450 on MSI6905 rev 1.1
boards on a ASUS P2B-D MB.  The standard kernel works great for me.

Is jumper J3 closed? to support Dual?

I also added the following lines to my kernel.

# Mandatory:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor
Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

# Optional, these are the defaults plus 1:
options         NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
options         NBUS=2                  # number of busses
options         NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
options         NINTR=24                # number of INTs

I know you said you added the top two.  I added the bottom just because
I don't like trusting defaults.  mptable verified that they are right,
but I know for SURE what is being used.

Jim
--
 James E. Housley                            PGP:   1024/03983B4D
 System Supply, Inc.                         2C 3F 3A 0D A8 D8 C3 13

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed
FreeBSD"