Date:      Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:12:50 +1000
From:      David <curmudgeon@telaman.net.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regarding the new work on the documentation

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 18:21:27 +0200 (CEST)
iio7@tutanota.com wrote:

> I don't understand why it takes FreeBSD so long to understand that the
> FreeBSD handbook and the way it is setup is a really BAD idea.

Probably because it's not.

> Learn from the success of other projects, like the Arch Linux wiki. Nothing
> beats that.
>
> Make it easy for users to participate.

I don't see how it's difficult for users to participate now.

> We don't need 100 different formats, PDF, EPUB, and all the other crap. No
> body cares about that. But even when it is, converting HTML is very easy,
> it's just a matter of printing.

The format which suits one, doesn't necessarily suit others.
Are you aware of which formats are preferred in the file managers everybody
sets for themselves?
Are they reading via a .pdf viewer, an EPub reader, online because they have
little disc space to spare, because they don't have a printer (unless they
print to .pdf), or any number of other potentials?

> Clone the Arch approach and everything will change for the better.

I really don't see what's so terminal about it now.
But, to each their own, if you prefer the wiki aspect, why not start one?
The software is available.
Cheers!