Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2023 11:53:02 +0200
From:      Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Subject:   Re: embedded emulation: bhyve + vt-x on amd fx-8320

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 5:24=E2=80=AFAM Pete Wright  wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 02:25:44AM +0200, Tomek CEDRO wrote:
> > installed Android Studio on that vm, then launched Virtual Android
> > Device and IT WORKED! o_O
> >
> > So my AMD FX-8320 CPU seems to support "nested virtualization" (its
> > called VT-D for Intel and AMD-V for AMD).
> >
> > Question is why Nested Virtualization does not work on FreeBSD?
> >
> > Should I set it up somehow? Is it supported here at all?
>
> I don't think nested hardware virt is supported by bhyve at the moment.
> a reading of the man pages seems to confirm this as well.  i've done para=
-virt
> nesting before but thats all in software and very slow.
>
> you might want to see if you can use a new'ish QEMU though to emulate the=
 hardware
> needed to get android studio running.

Thanks Pete, this is my main question if bhyve / vbox / kernel
supports it at all :-)

I got Android Studio running some time ago but there was problem with
Gradle that did not want to detect FreeBSD as supported platform.
Maybe I could make Android Emulator running on FreeBSD.. but also I
need NDK and SDK for cross compilation.. and Google rejected my
patches that reported FreeBSD as Linux in order to use Linux binaries,
they say "this platform is unsupported" and by that they mean they
won't even accept source code patches to make things work here. Thus
my approach with virtualization.. but there Android Emulator does not
start when no hardware acceleration is available.

Some time ago I thought Microsoft sucked but Google sux even more..
not to mention Apple that does not even allow to virtualize macOS
where XCode is the only tool to build iOS apps.. this whole brave new
world of mobile applications is a good state of our current
civilization ;-)

I hoped someone on the list would know the current state of "nested
virtualization" in FreeBSD.. if its currently supported and/or maybe a
timeline when it may be available :-)

--=20