Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 10:33:09 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [was/is: adding 2nd disk] little changes to sysinstall/Makefile

> 	sysinstall is located in /stand and won't be touched by
> 	'make worlds'. So I had on my -current system the one
> 	from the FreeBSD Release 2.0.5. ;-)

Well, that's sort of intentional I guess. :-)

> - -CFLAGS+= -Wall -I${.CURDIR}/../../gnu/lib/libdialog
> +CFLAGS+= -Wall -I${.CURDIR}/../../gnu/lib/libdialog -I../libdisk

Libdisk is no longer in the release directory.. :-)

> Installing a 2nd harddisk with sysinstall isn't possible, because
> of the many extra sanity checks in the "Label" submenu. All you
> get is a "basic" disklabel in the "PARTITION" menu.

Check again - I have turned some of these off now.

> And for all of you who said "buh baeh", disklabel is outdated stuff,
> when I tried to help the user, who first asked ...  HOW do YOU get
> a perfect disklabel for a 2nd disk, without using a proper disktab
> entry ???? Which hacked up -current are you using ?! :-((

I use a proper disktab entry.. :-)

> Best would be, to make parts of sysinstall to a standalone
> program in /usr/sbin, where expert mode allows you to choose

It should allow you to invoke any of the submenus directly based
on command-line arguments, so you could say:

	sysinstall label sd0

Which could in turn be called from a `disklabel' script:

	#!/bin/sh
	# New disklabel
	if [ $# -lt 1 ]; then
		echo Usage: $0 drive
		exit 1
	fi
	sysinstall label $1

> What do you think about the following: don't remove the sanity
> checks in "LABEL" menue ("warning, you need a / filesystem, /usr
> filesystem), but make them only as WARNING's, so that one can
> ignore the WARNING's and skip them.

Check to see what I've done in -current; I believe it should work
without a warning now.

						Jordan