Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 11:43:08 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stefan.bethke@hanse.de>
To:        Matthew Gessner <mgessner.freebsd@flashmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about LOTS of outgoing TCP connections with data

[ moved to -net ]

Matthew Gessner <mgessner.freebsd@flashmail.com> wrote:

> I have a program that creates X tcp connections to a given host (it's a
> proprietary network interface card... X.25, TCP/IP, etc).
>
> Now, I want to be able to test this sucker from FreeBSD.  When I start
> all 400 connections, 3.1-RELEASE REBOOTS.
>
> Hmm... kind of nasty behaviour.
>
> I'm running on a Pentium 166MHz with 32MB of RAM and a 96MB swap space.

Does is simply reboot, or does it panic?

In any case, try increasing NMBCLUSTERS (or MAXUSERS).  Try 200
connections, and look at the used allocations with netstat -m, this should
give you an idea whether this is your problem, and how much you should
increase NBMCLUSTERS.

Stefan

--
M=FChlendamm 12           |  Voice +49-40-256848, +49-177-3504009
D-22089 Hamburg         |  e-mail: stefan.bethke@hanse.de