Date:      Sun, 27 May 2012 16:18:10 -0400
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ports] why no libXXX after make install of libXXX?

On 26 May 2012 19:17, Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:
> On 05/26/12 14:03, Gary Aitken wrote:
>> I'm trying to install audacious, which depends on libmowgli.
>> The port fails to build because of a missing library.
>> Shouldn't the build of a library result in the library being placed in /usr/local/lib?
>
> I notice that /var/db/pkg/libmowgli-1.0.0/+CONTENTS
> and similar files for a few other packages
> shows files which don't exist:
>
> @comment PKG_FORMAT_REVISION:1.1
> @name libmowgli-1.0.0
> @comment ORIGIN:devel/libmowgli
> @cwd /usr/local
> lib/libmowgli.so
> lib/libmowgli.so.2
> lib/libmowgli.so.2.0.0
>
> I think this is a screwed up situation;
> there are no libmowgli files in /usr/local/lib
>
> What's the best way to recover from it if so?

Well, running it here installs the expected files:
~> ls -l  /local/lib | grep mowg
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel        18 May 27 16:11 libmowgli.so ->
libmowgli.so.2.0.0
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel        18 May 27 16:11 libmowgli.so.2 ->
libmowgli.so.2.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     84442 May 27 16:11 libmowgli.so.2.0.0

I would try running "make deinstall reinstall" from the port directory
& working from there.

Later:  I deinstalled it, & the next time I ran "make install" from the
port directory it claimed to install libmowgli, but installed nothing.
"make deinstall reinstall" however worked.  I have no idea why it did this.