Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 12:42:02 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ggm@connect.com.au (George Michaelson)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: canonical issue wrt DMA & wd/wdc

George Michaelson stands accused of saying:

> 1) can somebody add the DMA warning issues to an FAQ so we can understand
>    when it really means "DMA is disabled" as opposed to "your m.b. or BIOS
>    doesn't support enabling, who knows, lets wing it"

If you are running -current you are expected to be able to work this
sort of thing out for yourself.  Adding diagnostic messages from a
developmental driver to the FAQ is stupid.

> 2) flags 0x80ff80ff blows up in config on wdc but works on wd<n> instances

This is nonsense; you can't put flags on 'wd' instances, and it works
fine on 'wdc' (the only place you _can_ put it).

> 3) assuming when an ASUS m.b. reports the disks are mode4 compliant its not
>    lying, does adding the flags buy me anything

Which flags?  The 80ff flags for each channel are required for 32-bit
and multi-block mode to be used, yes.

> 4) claims LINT explains how to enable new/untrustworthy DMA are untrue as
>    far as I can see (but then I'm hyper dumb :-)

Read the commit message, or wait for the final version of the code 8)